April 23, 2012

My Nicaraguan beach village

"A child on a farm sees a plane fly overhead and dreams of a far away place. A traveler on that plane sees the farm and dreams of home."

I am probably the happiest girl around. After visiting a few places in Nicargua, I decided I wanted to find somewhere to call home for my last five weeks. I chose a small beach village called Las Penitas, and within an hour of arriving, I found myself a room to rent with some local surfers (they own a surf shop so I also got a good deal on a board). The house is simple, there is no furniture, just a few matresses and hammocks (it's always fun to wake up in the morning and see who is sleeping where), and the kitchen consists of a portable stove and a small fridge, but really, it's all you need. There are no tvs, wifi, or other "unnecessary" things, but the people here, living simply and to enjoy life, are so much happier than people in North America who live for their work and money. It is also an open door culture, no one stays in their house except to sleep. For instance, at my house, there are always people coming in and out throughout the day, and the music is always playing. Since it's a small village everyone knows everyone, and I already know quite a few of the locals. I have been out (in the city about half and hour away) to a salsa night, another dancing night, and to a BBQ and party here at the beach, which also involved dancing. For someone who absolutely hated dancing before coming here, I am proud to say that I quite enjoyed myself. Though it took some coaxing, I ended up on the dance floor for most of the night.

My daily routine looks something like this: I wake up and take "my" dog for a run (there are three dogs, one puppy, and one kitty all at the house), I hang out with my surfer buddies (surfing or taking pictures, walking on the beach, swimming...), I often take the dog out again, I go surfing, I play with the other animals at the house... Basically the same few things over and over, day after day, but yet I haven't been bored once. Then at night often we go to someone's house to eat or have a few beers, before restarting the routine the next day. My hair has turned to straw, I am constantly covered with salt water and sand, and I think I permanently smell like the ocean, but life really doesn't get much better than this.

Surfing. So before coming here I never really swam in the ocean. Lakes and rivers sure, but not the ocean since I was a wee bit scared of the waves. My first time out surfing I was very nervous, as I was on a board with waves crashing over my head, one of the few things I am scared of. After about ten minutes though, I realized it's really not all that bad, and now I quite enjoy it. Though the surfing is hard (my lack of upper body strength is not helping) it's fun just to be in the water and maybe catch a few waves. I have also taken to swimming at least every hour since it's just so hot here. I went from being scared of it, to being in the water more than anyone else.

Crazy enough, I now only have three weeks left to my trip. I never thought I was going to have to worry about it ending, but I guess all good things really do come to an end. But before then, I plan on taking full advantage of my life here!.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...