May 25, 2012

A little change in plans: Next stop- Bend!


"Sometimes the dreams that come true are the dreams you never even knew you had."
After being home for the last week, long boarding and biking everyday, skiing and camping on the weekend, and just overall living a very Eugenian lifestyle, I began to realize that McGill is not the right school for me to go to next year. For a while now, it has seemed like a chore going to school next year, rather than an exciting new chapter (which is how I use to view it). After talking to some friends who asked me why, if you don't want to, are you going, I finally realized I could change my path and actually be happy and excited about next year. So that is just what I did. Now, I am going to attend the community college of Central Oregon (in Bend) to become a paramedic. I am going to start with an intensive course this summer to become EMT-basic certified, and starting in the fall I will be taking the prerequisites for Paramedic school, as well as for getting my RN degree. I will then (hopefully) be accepted into the paramedic school, become certified, and maybe even find a job for a while. After that, I want to travel again. Nepal, India, Patagonia? Live in New Zealand for a year? Who knows where I will go. After that I will come back and finish my RN degree (which I will have completed all the prerequisites for at this point). After that, I will be able to do doctors without boarders or a similar program to travel and work at the same time. From there, I have the option to enter into a one year university program in order to complete my bachelor of nursing degree, and hopefully work as an ER nurse later on. But who knows, that is a long way away. For now, I know that I will be doing the EMT-Basic class starting in June, I will be snowboarding all the time throughout the winter and spring, and I will be living in a place with other outdoorsy people like me. I plan on taking up rock climbing, doing as much mountain biking as I can, and hopefully finding some mountaineering and backcountry ski buddies as well. Though I wanted to go live in Boulder, it is much more expensive (for living and the program since I would be out of state), and I figured that I might as well save the money and use it for traveling later on! 

Life in Oregon. For those of you who are not from here, Oregon is beautiful. Eugene and even more so, Bend has a very fit community of outdoorsy people, runners, bikers, skiers... Just about everyone can find a sport to love here. Though I have always been very opposed to the idea of staying in Oregon for school, it has been because I want the experience of living in other countries, I want to experience other cultures, and I wanted to go somewhere I knew no one. I have realized that a) I have gotten that chance, and have loved it, and know I will do it again and again throughout my life. b) I am not about to die this year (hopefully) so I still have a lot of time to live in all those places. Bend is a great place to live, and fulfills all my requirements for happy living, and, as a plus, my best friend is going to be there next year as well!

Instead of dreading the start of school, I now can't wait. I will be doing the things I love all the time, and I will be in a program that actually interests me. Though this was a bit of a shock for them, my parents took it pretty well, and have realized that this school is probably a better fit and I am much more likely to succeed here than somewhere that I don't enjoy. Well, there is the update for now, for the last week I have changed my mind every day (alright, sometimes every few hours) about what I would be doing and where, but now I have actually applied to COCC so I guess this is final!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...